Kedarkantha is one of the best winter treks to commence in the Himalayan region of Garhwal, Uttarakhand. If you are a snowbaby, then you might have an adrenaline rush as the place remains dunked in snow from December to April. Campsites are pitched in the vast clearings of the forest for the trekkers to soak in the beauty of the mountains. The highlights of this trek include Juda ka Talab and the view of Swargarohini peaks.
- Region – Uttarkashi
- Duration – 06 Days
- Grade/Level – Easy
- Altitude (Max) – 12,500 ft.
- Best season – Around the year
About Kedarkanta Trek
The drive to Kedarkantha is amazing as it cross many famous places which will make your sojourn wonderful. You’ll cross Mussoorie and Dehradun which are two of the famous places located in the heart of Uttarakhand. Enjoy the scintillating views of the mountain Queen and feast your eyes on the warm culture of Garhwal. Eat scrumptious Pahadi cuisines and open your heart to new experiences.
Kedarkantha Trek Insight
- Base Camp: Sankri (6-7 hrs drive from Dehradun)
- Grade/Level: Easy
- Staring Point: Sankri
- Ideal Time to Visit: January to February, May to October and in December.
- Category of trek: Lake and Summit
- Duration: 06 Days
- Total trekking: 20 km
- Places to Cover: Dehradun – Mussoorie – Purola – Mori – Sankri – Kedarkantha
Day 1: Dehradun to Sankri- Base Camp
Day 2: Sankri (6455ft) to Juda ka talab(9100ft)
Day 3: Juda ka talab to Kedarkantha base (11,250)
Day 4: Kedarkantha base to Kedarkantha peak (12,500 ft) and descend to Hargaon (8900 ft)
Day 5: Har Gaon to Sankri (Base Camp)
Day 6: Departure. Drive back to Dehradun.
8 Reasons Why To Summit Kedakantha
- Kedarkantha is recommended for all Beginners, irrespective of the prior experience.
- Lake surrounded by pine forests, Juda Ka Talab, freezes during winters. One can easily walk on the frozen lake, It’s absolutely a thrilling experience.
- Starting Point of Kedarkantha Trek, Sankri, is quite populor as base camp for other treks like – Har Ki Dun, Bali pass, Borasu Pass, Ruinsara Tal, Bharadsar lake.
- 360° view of Himalyan ranges – Gangotri, Yamunotri, Har Ki Dun, and Rupin mountain range and glimpse of godly peaks like Swargarohini, Bandarpoonch, Black Peak Kala Nag and Ranglana
- Trail is filled with beauty of lush meadows, dense pine forests, cascading beautiful streams, and thick carpet of maple and pine leaves
- On Kedarkantha summit there is a beautiful yet small temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and goddess Parvati.
- Witness the sunrise from the Kedarkantha meadows
- Camping overnight under the blanket of billions of stars
Kedarkantha Trek Map
How To Reach
Sankri (Base Camp)
By Air :-
Nearest Airport – Jolly Grant Airport Dehradun. ( 213 kms far from Sankri)
There is a daily flight from Delhi to Dehradun, which take around an hour to reach the city. Sankri(Base Camp) is well connected by motor-able roads with airport. Taxi services are available from Jolly Grant Airport to Sankri.
By Train :-
Nearest Railway Station – Dehradun Railway Station. (187 kms far from Sankri)
You can take the overnight train to Dehradun from Delhi. Taxis and buses are available from Dehradun Railway Station to Sankri (Base Camp).
By Bus:- ( Dehradun to Sankri 187 kms)
There is regular bus service from Delhi to Dehradun, from Delhi’s ISBT Kashmere Gate. Taxis and Buses are available from Dehradun to Sankri (Base Camp).